Getting to Know: Becky Emmons
1. Nicknames? My favorite nickname is Heat (Heater is my maiden name).
2. What is your occupation? I am the Director of Operations for a small business, The Boomerang Project in Santa Cruz. Our programs help over 1.5 millions students internationally transition into middle and high school annually.
3. If you could have any superpower what would it be and why? I would opt for the superpower of flight so I could travel great distances in a short amount of time.
4. What 3 things would you take with you on a deserted island, and why? Chapstick with SPF to keep my lips hydrated, sunglasses to protect my peepers, and a Swiss army knife for everything else.
5. What is the most unusual thing you have ever eaten? The most unusual thing I have every eaten would have to be pig brains. Tastes like pâté.
6. If you had a warning label, what would yours say? WARNING: May cause fits of laughter.
7. Where do you most want to travel, but have never been? I would love to go to that deserted island mentioned above. If that’s not an option, I would really like to visit Montreal, Quebec. The food scene sounds amazing!
8. When did you start CrossFit? My first class was in August of 2015.
9. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit? In addition to the community, I really like learning new lifts/moves/techniques and how they apply to my daily movement and mobility.
10. Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? I am loving handstands! They were scary at first given I hadn’t attempted one for many years, but I am finding them very fun!
11. Biggest challenges and rewards in coming to the gym? The biggest challenge for me right now is putting ego aside and starting with modifications of modifications for moves that are currently very difficult for me. The biggest reward so far is feeling strong and accomplished after completing a workout.
12. What are your goals in CrossFit? To be consistent and patient. I am working on the notion of “go slow to go fast.” It is challenging, but essential in creating a solid foundation. And a pull-up.
13. Besides CrossFit, what else do you enjoy doing in your spare time? I like to participate in group sports (softball and soccer), spend time with my family at the beach or riding bikes, and working in my yard and garden.
14. Favorite music/song to CrossFit to? Anything from the 90s.
15. If you could join any past or current music group which would you want to join? Fleetwood Mac is one of my all-time favorites.
16. Tell us something that we don’t know about you. I grew up in a very small town in Southern Oregon before moving to the Santa Cruz area in 2002.