Getting to Know: Elaine Lee
1. Nicknames? Climber friends used to call me Fast Lane, cause everybody had a nickname, and they had to call me something.
2. What is your occupation? Rolfer™
3. If you could have any superpower what would it be and why? X-Ray vision with a built-in zoom, like down to the molecular level. I’d love to be able to see into my client’s bodies and understand what’s really happening in there.
4. What is the most unusual thing you have ever eaten? I can tell you that I have NOT eaten stinky tofu or thousand-year-old egg, despite my family’s propensity to consume such delicacies. Ew.
5. If you could like in a book, TV show or movie, what w0uld it be? Why? I just finished the biography of A.T. Still, the founder of osteopathy, and I want to go back in time and be his student.
6. If you could master one skill you don’t have right now, what would it be and why? The d*mned MU kip. Who wouldn’t?
7. What’s the craziest thing you have ever done? I soloed El Capitan, and brought along a walkie-talkie at the insistence of my then-GF, who wanted to be able to communicate while I was up there. We used them to fight the entire time I was climbing. I was crazy for not tossing my walkie-talkie off the cliff at the first opportunity.
8. Where do you most want to travel, but have never been? Tibet. I think I was a Buddhist monk in a former life.
9. When did you start CrossFit? January 2016
10. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit? In every WOD there are 101+ ways to have my arse handed to me on a platter. I love a challenge.
11. Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? I like the Olympic lifts because they’re technical, kind of scary, and feel so unlikely, yet somehow my body does them.
12. Biggest challenges and rewards in coming to the gym? I definitely have a tendency to overtrain and/or push myself to the point of injury. (I’ve managed to do both already.) So the biggest challenge so far has been understanding my limits and really listening to my body. That’s been a really great lesson for me. The biggest reward has been the sense of community and camaraderie at CrossFit Aptos.
13. What are your goals in CrossFit? I want to be able to stay healthy and stay moving for years to come.
14. Besides CrossFit, what else do you enjoy doing in your spare time? Climbing, mountain biking, hiking my dog, making kombucha.
15. Favorite music/song to CrossFit to? Anything with a strong beat.
16. Tell us something that we don’t know about you. I have Mongolian dimples. Those are located on the cheeks…the other cheeks.
17. What are you most grateful for? All of the great people in my life, including everyone at CrossFit Aptos. And my dog.