When: June 11, 2017
Where: Seacliff State Beach – Bottom of the stairs
Time: 6 a.m. – Individuals Start (arrive 30 min. early)
8:30 a.m. – Scaled Division Starts (park gates open at 8 a.m.)
12 p.m. – Beach Picnic
Entry Fee: Equipment and Smiles
Ends: When you are sick of the Beach
The WOD consists of 3 parts;
- Sea – Paddle Board
- Sand – Run
- Sky – Bike
This will be an Individual, Team or Scaled event. Individuals will complete all stages. Teams will choose 1 individual to complete each stage of the tri. Scaled can be an individual or team
- Each Individual or Team will need 1 paddle board and 1 bike ( I would highly suggest a bike that likes to climb mountains.) We can get a few more paddle boards if you or your team needs one. Individuals and teams can share the paddle board.
- Your equipment is your responsibility. There will be a couple canopies at our table to store your boards and bikes.
- A long event needs fuel! Don’t CRASH on your bike or with your fuel. Make sure to eat well and bring snacks for after the event and throughout your stages.
- A great attitude
- Paddle Board for Stage 1 – Wetsuit – and don’t forget the paddle
- Bike for Stage 3
- Water & nutrition for a long event
- Something to Share—side, salad, drink, etc.
- Towel, Sunscreen, Family, beach umbrella & toys
- Know your limits!
- Look out for each other and check in.
- Don’t tell the State Park Rangers we are having an event! This is a bunch of friends getting together for some outdoor fun!
Sea – Sand – Sky 2017
Every Stage will start at the SS Palo Alto (cement ship) and end in the same place. CrossFit Aptos Headquarters will be at the bottom of the infamous stairs at Sea Cliff State beach where our community will watch each stage begin and be completed. The Gates to the lower parking lot of Seacliff State Beach does not open until 8:00am. Individuals you must hike your board down to the beach. Scaled Individuals & Teams be ready to start at 8:30 or until we collect all the paddle boards from the first heat. Once all the scaled participants have a board & the heat 1 is on the run heat 2 will start the Paddle. All teams must high 5, fist bump, shaka, their next teammate to pass the torch for the next stage. Once all stages are completed by either Individual, Team, or Scaled your time stops!
Heat 1 – Individuals & Team Start Time – 6:00am
Heat 2 – Scaled Start Time – 8:30am
Beach Picnic – Noonish
Sea – Stage 1
Paddle Board From The SS Palo Alto to Capitola Wharf and back (4.5 Mile Paddle ~ 1.5 Hours)
You will enter the water south of the SS Palo Alto and paddle north to Capitola Wharf. At the Wharf your Paddle must touch one of the pylons of the pier. Return back to the south side of the SS Palo Alto where you will exit the water. The paddle board must be carried back to the CrossFit Aptos Community Headquarters where we will cheer you on for the Run.
- Scaled Sea (3.0 Miles) – From South side of the SS Palo Alto follow the shore north to New Brighton State Beach. At the turn around at New Brighton State Beach your board must be equal with the stairs that lead up to the parking lot. You do not have to exit the water. Then return to the south side of the SS. Palo Alto and exit the water.
Sand – Stage 2
Run From The SS Palo Alto to Manresa State Beach and back (8.0 Mile Run ~ 1.5 Hours)
From the South Side of The SS Palo Alto, where you entered and exited the water with the Paddle, you will run along the sand to Manresa State Beach. At Manresa you must run to the top of the stairs, smile, turn around, and run back to where you started.
- Scaled Sand (4 Miles) – From the South Side of the SS Palo Alto to The Stairs at Beer Can Beach. Once you touch the top stair at beer can beach you can turn around, run down the stairs and back to where you started.
Sky – Stage 3
Bike From The SS Palo Alto to Sand Point in The Forest of Nisene Marks and back (18 Miles ~2 Hours)
From the SS. Palo Alto Bike to the entrance of Nisene Marks. Continue on the fire road until the steeeeeeeep incline. Don’t worry you are not there yet, nope still not there, yes the hill keeps going up and up. Finally at Sand Point you must take a Selfie to prove that you made it to the turn around. CAREFUL on the down hill it is fast and there are other riders coming up at a snail’s pace. Complete the event when you return back to the SS. Palo Alto and check in at the CrossFit Aptos Community Headquarters.
- Scaled Sky (11.5 Miles) – From the SS. Palo Alto Bike to the entrance of Nisene Marks. Continue on the fire road until the Epicenter. The Epicenter is located at the bottom of the incline right after you cross over a bridge. Stop take a Selfie of you and the Epicenter sign. Complete the event when you return back to the SS. Palo Alto and check in at the CrossFit Aptos Community Headquarters.
After BEACH TIME Ahhhhhhhhh……………..