Getting to Know: Ilga Celmins
1. Nicknames? None
2. What is your occupation? Software Developer
3. If you could have any superpower what would it be and why? Flying. I would love to be able to fly. Does that count as a superpower?
4. What is the most unusual thing you have ever eaten? In terms of time and location, garlic noodle soup for breakfast at 3 am and 14,600 feet in the Himalayas. It was the day we were going over the pass, so we needed an early start. And the sherpas were feeding us lots of garlic to keep us healthy. I might add I ate very little of it. I lose all appetite at altitude.
5. If you could like in a book, TV show or movie, what w0uld it be? Why? The Great British Baking Show. I really want to taste all those items they bake. It is pure torture just watching.
6. If you could master one skill you don’t have right now, what would it be and why? Walking handstand
7. What’s the craziest thing you have ever done? Followed a Greek sailor to Boston. Enough said about that episode.
8. Where do you most want to travel, but have never been? Patagonia. Or Costa Rica
9. When did you start CrossFit? Over a year ago (early 2015) – I was part of the second CrossFit Aptos Foundations
10. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit? Don’t do the same thing everyday, social hour, a long workout is only 20 minutes. Also, I really like being strong and being able to do things like easily change the water jug at work.
11. Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? Sit-Ups and planks. Those are my “rest” periods. I have been doing pilates for 8+ years, so I got the core strength going. And now that someone pointed out that I can jump on the mat, double unders.
12. Biggest challenges and rewards in coming to the gym? Challenges – if I think about it too much, I can talk myself out of it. If I just go through the motions, then I show up. Rewards – feeling great the rest of the day. Knowing even if I did very little else besides sit in front of the computer, I still got a great workout in.
13. What are your goals in CrossFit? Stay strong and don’t get hurt.
14. Besides CrossFit, what else do you enjoy doing in your spare time? Beach volleyball, hiking, bike riding, reading
15. Favorite music/song to CrossFit to? Happy pop. Unfortunately, not only does nobody else agree with me, they strongly disagree with me.
16. Tell us something that we don’t know about you. I have a masters in Chemical Engineering, and played professional beach volleyball, and grew up speaking 3 languages (German, Latvian and English)
17. What are you most grateful for? Family (husband and daughter) and a good job that I enjoy, at least for now. Financial stability, at least for now.